Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A rose by any other name...

I was feeling a bit better than usual yesterday, so last night after Michael got home from scouts (he's the Scout Committee Chair in our ward) we went to see the new "Robin Hood" movie---which everyone should go see now. Anyway, on our way home I realized something mildly disturbing: pregnancy has altered my sense of smell. Now I don't mean just that certain food smells bother me. I mean certain smells that I (and quite frankly most of humanity) used to find revolting, are now almost good to me....like I want to keep smelling them. Example:

Like I said, last night we were driving home. The air-conditioner in our car is currently not working so we were driving with the windows down. What is a smell that you frequently come across when there are lots of trees/forest on either side of the road? Skunk. I was enjoying the fresh air, caught a whif of the skunk smell and kept smelling it! It smelled the same as it always did, I just don't think it's gross anymore! In fact, at certain points it was mixed with the smell of honeysuckle flowers and actually smelled quite nice! What the?!?!?! Yeah. Disturbing.

Other smells I now enjoy? Car exhaust and gasoline. I should probably limit my inhalation of those particular fumes.

Smells I now find somewhat revolting? Garlic cooking with onions. I'm heartbroken.

1 comment:

  1. If I may post an addendum . . . That skunk must've been fighting off an army 'cause it was ridiculously rank. Jess also can't stand the smell of my yummy strawberry yogurt, or that of a delicious bowl of pork 'n beans, or the scent of cooking chicken patties. Especially the chicken patties. :) But that's okay. With the exception of the chicken patties, she covers her nose and lets me eat next to her anyway. She's wonderfully good to me like that.

    ReplyDelete